Town of St Armands Board Meetings
Special Board Meeting
BUDGET WORK SESSION - October 4, 2017
These minutes were approved on November 9, 2017.
A Special Board Meeting of the Town of St. Armand was held on the above date at the Town Hall, Bloomingdale, NY, for the purpose of discussing and planning the 2018 Town Budget.
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:
Town Supervisor Charles Whitson, Jr., Deputy Supervisor D. Joseph Bates, Councilperson Donald Amell, Councilperson Jennifer Fuller, and Councilperson Dean Montroy.
TOWN EMPLOYEES PRESENT:
Accountant Tina Moody, Highway Deputy Superintendent Douglas Snickles, Town Clerk Barbara Darrah, Town Historian Davina Winemiller, and Town Assessor Donna Bramer.
Notice was posted regarding the date and time of this meeting.
Accountant Tina Moody introduced changes that are being made to budget funding accounts. The “B” fund is new and has been created for the quarterly sales tax revenue from all of St. Armand, including the Village of Saranac Lake that is in St. Armand. The expense codes that will be coming from the “B” fund will include Vital Records, Code Enforcement Officer and Health Officer.
Supervisor Whitson presented requests from emergency services: Saranac Lake Fire Department was $28,700 last year. They are requesting $28,270 this year, a reduction of $421.00. Adirondack Airport is seeking $2500.00 which is the same as last year. North Country Life Flight is requesting $500.00, which is the same amount as last year. Our portion for the Essex County -Self Insured Workers Comp is $19,457.16. The New York State Town’s Association dues are $899.00 and the Adirondack Association of Towns and Villages dues are $449.00.
Discussion ensued regarding the following topics.
• Cost of Living Adjustment – The Board discussed whether there should be cost of living raises in 2018. Councilperson Donald Amell stated he felt strongly there should be no raises for elected officials in 2018 because there would be a number of people who will be in the position for the first time due to elections. It was mentioned that the Highway department staff are automatically receiving 2% for the next two years per the union agreement. Stipends were discussed for the Town Accountant, Town Clerk, and Town Assessor because of extra hours put in for 2017 because of the Office of NYS Comptroller’s audit, Water and Sewer Software program conversion and reevaluations of properties in St. Armand for 2018. It was agreed to table this discussion until the next scheduled budget session to allow the above individuals to prepare their reasoning for why raises should be given and amount of stipends.
• Employee Health Insurance Quotes – Supervisor Whitson announced that Tish Biesemeyer from Burman Associates would attend the next scheduled Budget work session to present the 2018 changes and amounts for Stan Ingison and Douglas Snickles to assist them in making a decision as to whether they would join the Union’s insurance or join the Town’s insurance program.
• Highway Department – The board agreed to post the vacant position of Machine Equipment Operator advertisement in the newspaper due to the upcoming vacancy in the Highway Department. The requirements were discussed and agreed upon for a Class B license preferred for operation of 1-ton vehicles. The Board also discussed the recent issue of children sliding down the Town’s sand pile. The area is not posted. The installation of a fence was discussed and Doug Snickles state he would get a quote. Additional conversation included a slide gate verses a swing gate, key box or pass code for gate, and No Trespassing signs.
The Board continued moving through the various expense accounts listed on the budget.
• Joint Airport
• Programs for the Aging - $2150.00, same as last year.
• Youth Programs – Currently has $6,152.00. Boosters may be approaching town for more equipment.
• Historian – agreeable to no raise, but suggested dropping CE fund to $150.00 and move $150.00 to Records Management Budget.
• Land Refuse – Salary $7500.00
• Cemetery – 2% raise on salary, CE fund leave at $11,000.00. Cy Ellsworth is requesting a zero-turn riding lawn mower for the cemetery.
• Town Insurance – Supervisor Whitson will contact Adirondack Alarms to see if they would be interested in covering the Town Hall and Highway Garage as far as fire alarm notification signals. Current Insurance representative suggested an insurance discount for fire alarm installations. Supervisor Whitson stated he would contact Ayres to see how much the discount would be.
• Highway Equipment Requests – New Kubota Tractor - $19,000 w/trade-in, ($8,000.00 to fix current tractor), Sidewalk Machine/Plow Blades/New Truck/Front Plow Blade for 2009 - $7,890.00 DA5130.4 has $50,000.00 allotted, has $5,334.00 left in it now.
Red Highway Truck need windshield fixed in order to pass inspection - $200.00
2009 Tandem needs brakes. Excavator needs digging cylinder $1283.00, servicing $750.00.
New Plow Truck. The 2004 green tandem would be used as back-up for 2009 Gold tandem.
Need an oversized truck to go over the mountain - $177,000.00
Chain saws need to be updated – under $2,000.00
• Paving Main St. – approximately $175,000.00 - $200,000.00. From the intersection to “Y” at the Bloomingdale School.
• DB 5112.2 Fund – allotted $75,000.00 in 2017, down to $40,000.00
Supervisor Whitson stated he would call Community Resources regarding the Salt Shed Grant.
Supervisor Whitson adjourned the meeting at 9:45 pm. The next scheduled Budget Work Session is Wednesday, October 11th, 2017 at 6:30 pm at the Bloomingdale Town Hall.
I, Barbara J. Darrah, Town Clerk for the Town of St. Armand, do hereby certify that the above is a true and correct transcript of the Special Board meeting minutes held on the above-referenced date.